Is Streamlit actually useful?

I agree with almost everything you’ve said here. I still think streamlist has a lot of potential but even really simple apps need state. My 8yr old daugter made a simple game using ScratchJr - and Scratch has built in state where it manages the hard things behind the scenes like multiple users because it turns out kids understand the concept of state and use it, and their friends login at the same time and the scratch app just autobehaves differently for each of them.

I disagree with this bit:

I am sceptical that there is a good solution to managing state in a Streamlit application which doesn’t make it more complex than a Flask app.

In flask you have to think carefully about state and users and so on and deal with it often by using flask addons or writing code. I think Streamlit could easily abstract a lot of this away. I assume its not easy thats why its taking so long.

I’m just concerned that the range of use cases is just much smaller than I had hoped for initially.

This is true, and like with all computing things, you pick what works for that use, but it does concern me that my use cases for streamlit keep shrinking the more I have used it. I’m waiting on how the new roadmap improves things though before coming to any decisions.

3 Likes