SciLit - Scientific Literatures and Analytics Search App

Hi there ! :raised_hand:t4:

I tried to built this app, for searching scientific publications using specific keywords, and obtain simple analytics related to the publications (download batches of aticles), published journals and authorā€™s network etc. Heres the link to the app - SciLit.

Also, thanks to the streamlit-components-community-tracker page. Components such as,Streamlit-AgGrid,Streamlit-Pyvis,Streamlit-Lottie came very handy!

Iā€™ll be glad to recieve your views and comments . :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Avra

5 Likes

@AvratanuBiswas - really cool app! Thanks for sharing it. :100:

1 Like

@asehmi , glad that you liked it ! And also, thank you for your impressive, Streamlit Authentication component ! :balloon:

1 Like

Hope youā€™re using or tried the Auth0 version of the component? BTW, like that you used the new caching API primitives in your app.

1 Like

Yes, I did try it ! Iā€™m planning to implement it in one of my ā€˜fun-with Streamlitā€™ projects :grinning: , will post you on it for sure . Again, I must mention, the component trackers forum by the community is superb helpful , and I would like to make more use of it! :smiley:

Oh, yeah , why not ! This latest Streamlit update with the caching functions , as well as the hamburger menu, seems perfect to test within this basic app, and Iā€™m glad I could straight away implement it ! :slight_smile:

Cheers
Avra

2 Likes

Do I understand correctly youā€™re only finding data in PubMed (i.e. your app is mainly for biomed research, not for general things)?

1 Like

Hi @karelin ,
Yes, you are right , itā€™s looking for the PubMed/ MEDLINE Database, mainly biomedical niche . Itā€™s a limitation for sure .

Best
Avra

1 Like

@AvratanuBiswas Unfortunately, it seems Iā€™ve found some strange bugā€¦

When Iā€™ve searched for papers on ā€˜EDFA transientā€™, your demo finds 10 papers (expected), but later loading papers takes tooooo loooooong (Iā€™ve never seen the results).

For your proposed ā€˜Chlorophyll fā€™ example, the app is really fast!

Ah ! You are right ! Thanks for letting me know .

Iā€™ll look onto it and get back to you :slight_smile:

Cheers
Avra

Hi @karelin ,

Thank you for reporting the bug, I made a quick fix ! It seems to run smoothly for time being with your search query.

Scholary can serve that purpose for wider scientific community. Perhaps, some other time, Iā€™ll implement within this app as well .

And again, thank you for using this demo app :slight_smile:

Cheers
Avra

Support of Google Scholar (Scholary) would be amazing!!!
You can ping me and it will be a pleasure for me to test!

1 Like

It takes time to load publication

Hi @Kareem_Rasheed_babat ,
Thanks for your comment. This is something I have also faced at times, but normally the search result duration varies according to the batches of publications I try to load at a time, sometimes also the hour (time) of fetching the data, since the app uses NCBI -PubMed Database for the search queries. What about trying with your same search queries, in some other time ? Does it still persist?

The best possible solution can be to switch to some other database, which I may try to implement some other time.

Neverthless, thank you for trying out this demo app of mine . Do let me know if you have some feedbacks :smiley:

Best,
Avra

1 Like

Really cool app @AvratanuBiswas! Thanks for sharing it with the community!

Best,
Charly

1 Like

Thank you @Charly_Wargnier ! Iā€™m glad that you liked this app :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Avra

@AvratanuBiswas, checked a bit Scholarly library - Iā€™m afraid Google will ban you soon after you do onlineā€¦

Perhaps youā€™d better consider ArXiv API as an alternative to PubMed, this will cover physics/math/ML papers.

Hi @karelin , thanks for the heads up ! I dint get much time to dig into Scholarly yet, but yeah ArXiv looks to be promising, there are few python wrappers as well, Iā€™ll check onto them and surely, update you. Stay in touch :slight_smile:
Cheers,
Avra

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I will try again

1 Like

Hi, @AvratanuBiswas , is your up still up and running?
Iā€™ve got an error ā€˜Oh no. Error running app. If this keeps happening, please contact support.ā€™ when tried to access it.

1 Like

Hi @karelin , Glad to see you here once again. You are absolutely right.

The error message pops up for me as well . Needs to be fixed . And also, I do remember your suggestion about integrating ArXiv (thank you for that :smile: ). Itā€™s quite written, but since Iā€™m on holidays, canā€™t update it rn (and fix this current issue). Apologies for this delay :slightly_frowning_face:

Will keep you posted here. And yeah, Happy New Year @karelin :hugs::balloon:
Cheers
Avra

2 Likes