Clearing Cache is not working properly

My app has a text area where user enter an input and based on that the app makes chained calls to the OpenAI apis which takes somewhat between 15-20 minutes to get the output.

However, when a new input is provided, I get back the same results from previous run. As the default behavior is caching, I used st.cache_data decorator on the functions involved in making these calls with ttl = 10 sec. However, with new input I am still getting the cached results.

I also tried clearing cache with st.cache_data.clear() and also with func.clear().

My current code looks something like this:

@st.cache_data(ttl=10)
def make_api_call_with_retries(chat, max_tokens, retries=3):
    response = get_response(chat, max_tokens=max_tokens)

@st.cache_data(ttl=10)
def get_response(chat_history, max_tokens=0):
      api call made here

@st.cache_data(ttl=10)
def process_save_document(chat, prompt_type, input_heading, output_heading, text, initial_outline, max_tokens=0):
    response = make_api_call_with_retries(chat, max_tokens=max_tokens, retries=3)

@st.cache_data(ttl)
def run_script(outline):
     This function makes chained calls to the above function with output of 1 passed to another for 6 times

input_text = st.text_area("Enter text:")

if st.button("Run Script", on_click=change_run_status):
    run_script.clear()
    process_save_document.clear()
    make_api_call_with_retries.clear()
    get_response.clear()
    results = run_script(input_text)
    st.session_state.result = results[0]
    chat_outputs = results[1:]

Any ideas on how I can stop Streamlit from caching the return values or clearing it? Or is there something that I am doing wrong in the code ? I just wish to have a new outputs returned for each new input in text area.

At this point, what is the caching doing for you? To always clear it would mean there isn’t really a point to it. How does your app behave if you just remove the caching?

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.