Form elements can't get new values

Environment: Mac/M1, chrome, streamlit 0.85.1

with st.form(key="update_status"):
            selected_code = st.selectbox('select code', df["code"].tolist())
            selected_status = st.selectbox('select status', status)
            btn = st.form_submit_button('submit')
            print(btn)
            if not btn:
                submit_status(selected_code, selected_status)

I found two issues not complied with the document:

1. if I use ā€œon_clickā€ to call submit function, two select values canā€™t be updated
  2. if I use return value of submit button to call it, return bool value is oppsite to common sense. Only like my code, the evnent to click button can be invoked.

I donā€™t understand how to create a form in streamlit acting like other web forms. Is it because of document or bugs in code?

1 Like

Hi @winglight welcome to streamlit!

I think you can update the two values with onclick= callback. Additionally pass along those variables with args=

with st.form(key="update_status"):
            selected_code = st.selectbox('select code', df["code"].tolist())
            selected_status = st.selectbox('select status', status)
            st.form_submit_button(label='submit', onclick=submit_status, args=(selected_code, selected_status))

Iā€™m not sure how to address the reverse-logic youā€™re mentioningā€¦ does this help?

Thanks joe. I tried the way you mentioned that caused the same result. But I did find out why just now.

Thereā€™s a button to load the whole UI manually in the code. When I move this function to the root of code that resolves the problems above. I guess streamlit using ā€œreload the whole pageā€ to pass params to submit function. This design idea blows my mind. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Glad you could resolve it!

On the same boat, trying to figure out how things work :grinning: See if you can help me here: How to create recurring forms with unique keys?

I saw your post before, but I donā€™t recomend you to take time on it. IMHO, streamlit is only appropriate to the single page for ML charting and itā€™ll reload the whole page on any trivia change. Itā€™s better for you to find another solution even Google Docs.

1 Like