Forms that allow users to change default values

Hello!

I’m trying to create an interface where users can cycle through a set of responses (in this case they are 0/1 responses, so we use checkboxes to represent them) and change them. I created a parallel correction dictionary to capture the (potentially) changed data. The idea is, someone previously provided a set of responses and the current user is simply validating them, making any changes necessary. In the current setup, we would simply compare responses and corrections to see any changes after the fact.

I currently have the following app which does not store the corrections properly. When I provide unique keys for st.checkbox it stores those in session state appropriately, but not in the session state dictionary. For example, if I “correct” the first example to be true/true (instead of true/false) here’s how the session_state looks like this:

{
  "index 0:question 2": true,
  "index 0:question 1": true,
  "correction": {
    "0": [
      true,
      false
    ]
  "count": 1,
  "FormSubmitter:My form-Next": true,
  "max_index": 3,
  }
}

I have a feeling my approach is a bit off – help! How should I be storing these corrections? I may doing something wrong with the on_click callback. But have no idea how to start. Thanks for your help!

import pandas as pd
import streamlit as st

def next_point(ci):
    # store responses in session
    st.session_state.correction[st.session_state.count ] = ci
    # increment count 
    if st.session_state.count < st.session_state.max_index:
        st.session_state.count += 1

st.sidebar.write(st.session_state)

responses = pd.DataFrame.from_dict({
    "question 1": [1, 0, 0],
    "question 2": [0, 1, 0],
}).to_dict(orient='index')
st.session_state.max_index = len(responses) - 1

if "count" not in st.session_state:
    st.session_state.count = 0
    st.session_state.correction = {}

with st.form("My form", clear_on_submit=True):
    count = st.session_state.count
    # extract responses
    ri = responses[count]
    # create two checkboxes filled with existing responses
    ci = [st.checkbox(var, ri[var], key = 'index '+str(count)+":"+str(var)) for var in ri.keys()]
    submit = st.form_submit_button(label="Next", on_click=next_point, kwargs={"ci": ci})

Hi @lcampos, welcome to the Streamlit community!

Interesting question…what’s the rationale for wanting to change the selectboxes, instead of just saving the results?

Best,
Randy

@randyzwitch The thing I’m trying to replicate is kind of like a teacher correcting student tests.

The responses are student answers on a test and the teacher looks through them one by one and corrects the ones the student got wrong (by changing the select boxes). In the end, not currently implemented, we would compare responses and corrections to see which ones the student got wrong.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.