Hide/show pages on load depending on session state OR add pages to side bar programmatically

Summary

I have successfully built and deployed a Streamlit app on Elastic Beanstalk which utilizes Cognito for user logins (via the work here: GitHub - MausamGaurav/Streamlit_Multipage_AWSCognito_User_Authentication_Authorization).

I know this question has come up in the pastā€¦but I could not find a satisfactory answer. Iā€™ve also been messing around with the excellent st-pages package but with no luck.

The issue with show_pages is that it passes across all users accessing the instanceā€¦no good!

The issue with hide_pages is I believe it only executes after the page loads with all ā€œpagesā€ in the left sidebar ā€“ thus on page load thereā€™s a flicker of all the available pages before hiding them.

Essentially, there will be a page or two that we only want the dev team to know about the existence of themā€¦thus why the flicker is an issue. C-suite will start asking questions about why they canā€™t get access :laughing:

Steps to reproduce

Lots of dependencies on this one. Please let me know if I can clarify anything. I am just posting one of the main code blocks located at the top of my Main.py file. This is the first thing in the .py file.

Code snippet:

# Check authentication when user lands on the home page.
authenticate.set_st_state_vars()

if not st.session_state.get("authenticated", None):
    st.session_state["authenticated"] = False
    hide_pages(
        [
            "Collect",
            "Sign",
            "Dupers",
            "WIP",
        ]
    )
    authenticate.button_login()
else:
    if 'non_dev' in st.session_state["user_cognito_groups"]:
        hide_pages(
            [
                "WIP",
            ]
        )
    elif 'dev' in st.session_state['user_cognito_groups']:
        hide_pages(
            []
        )
    st.sidebar.success("Select a demo above.")
    authenticate.button_logout()

If applicable, please provide the steps we should take to reproduce the error or specified behavior.

Expected behavior:

Iā€™d expect it to hide pages (if possible) before they get rendered.

Actual behavior:

Pages are hidden only after flickering/loading on the page.

Debug info

• Streamlit version: 1.24.0
  • Python version: 3.9.16
  • OS version: Mac
  • Browser version: Brave

Requirements file

mysql-connector-python
streamlit~=1.24.0
streamlit_extras
SQLAlchemy~=1.4.35
sqlmodel~=0.0.8
boto3~=1.26.126
pandas~=1.4.4
APScheduler~=3.10.1
plotly~=5.14.1
pytest~=7.2.1
numpy~=1.23.5
python-dateutil~=2.8.2
python-dotenv~=1.0.0
st-pages~=0.4.1

Hi @lituga

It seems youā€™d like to hide pages before it is rendered, hereā€™s a related post on that:

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.