How can we catch component errors

I frequently get errors like the following. Are these streamlit components loaded multiple times in a single session? How can I catch theseā€¦ they do not appear to be thrown as standard errors?

Your app is having trouble loading the streamlit_chat.streamlit_chat component.

(The app is attempting to load the component from ****, and hasnā€™t received its "streamlit

" message.)

• If this is a development build, have you started the dev server?
  • If this is a release build, have you compiled the frontend?

For more troubleshooting help, please see the Streamlit Component docs or visit our forums.

I see this error in the web UI.

The error message you brought up appears to be associated with loading the Streamlit component ā€œstreamlit_chat.streamlit_chat.ā€ Custom extensions called Streamlit components give your Streamlit app further functionality.

You can take the following actions to solve the problem and identify component errors:

1. Verify the installation of a component: Make that the component is compatible with your version of Streamlit and that it has been installed correctly. For information on version compatibility and installation procedures, consult the componentā€™s documentation.

2. Make sure the component is loaded appropriately in your Streamlit app by checking the componentā€™s loading status. Make sure you are importing and initializing the component using the appropriate import statement or command.

3. Error handling: You can use conventional Python error handling techniques to detect component issues. Put a try-except block around the code where you are utilizing the component to catch any potential exceptions. For instance:

try:
    # Code that uses the Streamlit component
except Exception as e:
    # Handle the exception
    print("An error occurred:", e)

You can catch any exceptions that the component raises and respond to them by employing a try-except block. A traceback or exception message may contain more details about the error.

1. Logging and debugging: If the component fault continues, you can add more logging or debugging statements to learn more about the error. To record specific information about the operation of the component and any error messages encountered, print the appropriate variables, log messages, or use a logging library.

For more in-depth troubleshooting procedures, always refer to the documentation or support materials offered by the particular component youā€™re using.

1 Like

Finding exactly the same issue with streamlit_chat with an app deployed to App Engine in GCP.

The error does not reproduce always. When the app is first loaded everything works fine. However, when the first interaction is attempted (first answer retrieval) the error pops-up. After some minutes and refreshes, the error does not reproduce anymore but I havenā€™t found the pattern.

Any ideas about what may be causing this?

Any ideas here? Been having the same problem, but with folium component

same problem here.

@marc-olm, for streamlit_chat I just reprogramed my app with the 1.24+ version of streamlit and used the new chat components.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.