New layout columns

Hello guy!

First of all a big thank you for the layout update, it will be a very useful feature. Now that I was playing around with the columns I wondered if it possible to have columns in columns?

I tried the following but that did not work:
import streamlit as st

col1, col2 = st.beta_columns(2)
col1.write('I am base col1!')
col2.write('I am base col2!')

col_in_col1, col_in_col2 = st.beta_columns(2)
col1.col_in_col1.button('button1')
col1.col_in_col2.button('button2')

col2.col_in_col1.button('button3')
col2.col_in_col2.button('button4')

Hi @Thiemo_Seys, Welcome to the community !

I don’t think you can have nested columns or even expanders. Check this bit of code.

Can you describe your use case? Maybe we can explore an alternative way to achieve it?

I think we will have this functionality of nesting columns/expanders in future releases? @randyzwitch can you please comment on it?

Hope it helps!

Allright thanks for the help, I just noticed there is the following warning in the API reference:
Currently, you may not put columns inside another column.

I was planning to use it to stack buttons horizontally instead of vertically. The project is to display images in two columns, and then above the image display 3 buttons that change the color of the ‘attached’ image

Hey @Thiemo_Seys,
Sounds interesting, I just implemented this bit, I think you can easily substitute the working of 3 buttons with a selectbox. And it makes more sense to have a select box for filters I think as currently you have 3 colors in future you might have 100s. But its just my opinion i think,

It would look something like this if you choose to implement it this way,

Check this gist for code, https://gist.github.com/ash2shukla/f763d205a8e82a4fdd0d6534f3dae048

4 Likes

Thanks for the code example, using the selectbox for now and maybe changing it later to buttons when a new update releases is a decent fix for the moment.

One other question, if this needs to be posted in an other thread be sure to let me know.
Is it possible to use concurrent.futures.ThreadPoolExecutor in streamlit code to speed up the generating/rendering of images?

When I try to use it, i get the following error with the simple piece of code below:
error:

2020-10-15 15:24:33.471 Thread 'ThreadPoolExecutor-1_0': missing ReportContext

code:

model_col1, model_col2 = st.beta_columns(2)
ids = [str(i) for i in dat_filtered[‘id’].tolist()]
row_indexes = [i for i in range(0,len(ids))]
from itertools import repeat

def test_threadpool(id, img_combiner, model_col, model_index, row_index):
    with model_col:
    st.write(id)

with ThreadPoolExecutor(max_workers=12) as exec:
    print('started loading images with threadpoolExe')
    exec.map(test_threadpool, iter(ids),repeat(img_combiner), repeat(model_col1), repeat(0), 
iter(row_indexes))
#    print(f'using ids({len(ids)}): {ids} and row indexes({len(row_indexes)}: {row_indexes})')
#    exec.map(show_image, iter(ids),repeat(img_combiner), repeat(model_col1), repeat(0), 
iter(row_indexes))
#    exec.map(show_image, iter(ids),repeat(img_combiner2), repeat(model_col2), repeat(1), 
iter(row_indexes))

print('done running threadpool')

With my full code that generates the images I get no error or any output at all, nothings gets displayed either.

Hey everyone!
Indeed that would be great to be able to nest one component under another (I realize this is a pretty hard task technically). For example, having multiple columns under the expander…

In my case, I want to have 2 columns after a shared “header”, but that is already within a column (or, alternatively, would be nice to be able to have a component populating 2 columns somehow.

I would also love to take a look at your example layout - it also seems to have a “shared” description over 3 “nested” maps on the right…

3 Likes

I also just came across this, and it would be brilliant to be able put columns into other columns. I’m organizing my code into functions that take a parent component/DeltaGenerator as input, and not being able to put some types of widgets into some containers breaks this in some cases.
That being said, I appreciate that this is probably another level of complexity, and in a lot of cases there are workarounds that may not be 100% perfect in terms of desired layout, but often good enough…

3 Likes