Scrollable Radio widget

Summary

I have a long list of options for my Radio widget and it doesn’t look/feel nice when you have to scroll. I want to limit it’s behavior of expanding vertically.

Steps to reproduce

• Create a long Python list
  • Pass this list as the options parameter of the Radio widget

Expected behavior:

Scrollable list of selectable radio items.

Actual behavior:

Very long list that expands vertically.

Additional information

• I thought of placing the Radio widget inside a container. Would it work?
  • I do not want to use the horizontal option of the Radio widget.

Hi @kaankorkmaz

A Radio widget allows you to choose one option of many. If screen space is a constraint, you can use a selectbox to single select an option.

Placing the radio widget in a container / expander won’t reduce the number of radio elements.

Check if the pills widget works out for you: (streamlit-pills · PyPI)

Cheers

2 Likes

@Shawn_Pereira thanks for your answer.

Since I have a list of timestamps that I want to be seen at all times, using a selectbox isn’t the optimal solution - since the user would have to click each time to display the elements.

If I place the radio widget inside a container, that has a height parameter, wouldn’t it be forced to be contained within this container? My expected outcome would be as follow: Radio elements are expanded and visible, but the user would need to scroll within the container.

st.container does not have a height parameter. In case you manage to specify the height with css/js, you may also need to take care of the scrollbar (not sure about this - haven’t tried it)

A simple method would be to combine your timestamps into different groups, and then display these radio button groups for the user to choose from. It would become more manageable then.

Cheers

1 Like

This one modifies the row-widget style.

Code

import streamlit as st

# Add vertical scroll for radio.
st.markdown("""
    <style>
        .row-widget {
            height: 200px;
            overflow-y: scroll;
        }
    </style>
    """,
    unsafe_allow_html=True)

big_list = [10, 85, 69, 20, 30, 52, 40, 89, 45, 12, 50, 60, 45, 14, 10,
            70, 25, 15, 20, 85, 12, 58, 12, 46, 12, 14, 57, 98, 36, 12
]

col = st.columns([1, 1, 4], gap='medium')

with col[0]:
    st.write('Select')
    rb = st.radio('select', big_list, label_visibility='collapsed', key='rb_1')

with col[1]:
    st.text_input('Value selected', value=rb, key='ti_1')

1 Like

@Shawn_Pereira combining timestamps can be a workaround.
@ferdy This is exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks both of you!

@ferdy One follow up question - this change applies a height setting to other widgets (checkbox, dropdown etc.). Is there a way to apply it only to the radio widget?

Update - nevermind found it :slight_smile: just changed it to .row-widget.stRadio

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.