Streamlit Performance - Running a script

Summary

I created a streamlit app that should run my simulation() function from a separate .py file. When I run the simulation function directly from the .py file it requires less than 1s to execute. However, running the same function from streamlit (after clicking a button), it requires >70s, which is a lot moreโ€ฆ

I already read through the 6 Tips for Improving Your App Performance | Streamlit article. Also I make use of the @st.cache_data decorator and I set everything up so that already ran parameter configurations donโ€™t need to be rerun again (they are very fast). So I am just talking about the performance of new parameter configurations here. In the mentioned article there is one sentence that says โ€œAnd for static datasets you should always consider offloading computations to a file, to constants, or to a separate Python modules.โ€ I am wondering what this means and if it could potentially be a solution.

Steps to reproduce

Code snippet:

if 'button_clicked' in st.session_state and st.session_state['button_clicked']:
    # compose adjusted parameters
    adjusted_params = new_params

# Run the simulation.py script
    st.session_state['param_id'] = simulation(input_file_path, adjusted_params=adjusted_params)
    st.write(f"Simulation with id {st.session_state['param_id']} has finished based on these parameters:")
    st.dataframe(get_simulation_data('simulationData.db', 'sys_param'))
    st.success('Done!')

# Reset the session state variable after running the simulation
    st.session_state['button_clicked'] = False

Debug info

• Streamlit version: 1.27.2
  • Python version: 3.9.13
  • OS version: Windows
  • Browser version: Brave

Requirements file

radcad==0.8.4
pytest==6.2.2
ipykernel==5.5.3
matplotlib==3.3.4
stochastic==0.6.0
black==20.8b1
ipython-autotime==0.3.1
jupyter-dash==0.4.0
jupyter-client==6.1.2
jupyterlab==3.0.17
ipywidgets==7.6.3
notebook==6.4.1
pdoc3==0.9.2
jupyter-book==0.11.1
psutil==5.8.0
kaleido==0.2.1
nbconvert==5.6.1
flask==2.0.0
gunicorn==20.1.0
cadCAD_tools==0.0.1.4
tqdm==4.61.0
diskcache==5.2.1
pylint==2.8.3
jupyterlab-spellchecker==0.6.0
streamlit==1.27.2
altair<5
plotly==5.17.0

Links

Are there no ideas how to improve the performance?

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.