Streamlit & Snowflake: Better Together

Congrats! Well done! Cheers!

1 Like

Are you going to keep your Starter and Teams pricing tiers? Or will things shift toward enterprise only?

For now as we figure out how the two companies are going to come together, everything is staying the same for Streamlit Cloud, including keeping the free tier for the community to share their projects.

1 Like

Can someone who knows Snowflake technology explain what benefits it would bring to me as a Streamlit user? Letā€™s say i already have a bunch of data in SQL databases, json, text, and xml that is working ok with Streamlit. What would motivate me to move all that data into Snowflake?

I canā€™t comment on any future product plans during the transition period, but itā€™s important to recognize that Streamlit and Snowflake will continue to work separately from one another as they do today. Meaning, prior to the announcement, if you were a Snowflake customer you couldā€™ve used Streamlit to write a front-end to your data, and if youā€™re using Streamlit now without Snowflake, the same code and design patterns will still work.

So if you already have existing databases (whether on-premises or with another cloud vendor) and other stores of data, then you donā€™t have to migrate to Snowflake. But if youā€™re looking for a cloud-based platform for data, computation, etc., then Snowflake might be a good option. Over time, additional functionality will surely be added to make both technologies work together better, but Streamlit (or any web app created by a front-end framework) doesnā€™t need to have a cloud database backend.

1 Like

Well if Snowflake offered a cloud database backend that is 10x easier to use than AWS , Google Cloud or self-hosting, that would be very appealing.

My big question is how is the streamlit technology going to be limited from fully open source version when it is taken over by Snowflake commercial interests. Will we be able to host our own streamlit servers without using streamlit or snowflake servers?

From a practical perspective, there isnā€™t a way for Streamlit to remove the ability for users to host their apps anywhere they want. I havenā€™t looked at the current PyPI download stats, but there are (up to) 9 million or so Apache 2.0-licensed copies of the Streamlit code already in the wild. In that sense, at the first sign that Streamlit wasnā€™t living up to its open-source ideals, users in the community could create a fork of the project at that point and continue on without us (see MySQL vs. MariaDB for an interesting detour about what it takes to make this work in practice).

Given that we already canā€™t stop people from continuing on without us, the only move (without killing Streamlit) is to continue to develop functionality that co-exists for users who are Snowflake customers and users who arenā€™t. In the context of data apps, plenty of use cases exist where storing the data in a database is either impractical or unnecessary. We would be shrinking the existing community by forcing a single database choice onto users who might not need any sort of database platform.

So even if we havenā€™t built up enough goodwill in the community for users to trust our statement that it will continue to remain an open-source project, hopefully Iā€™ve laid out the technical reasons why it will continue on that way :slight_smile:

Best,
Randy

3 Likes

And to back up @randyzwitchā€™s point, here is a great example of the open source community building in all new innovative ways to deploy streamlit:

1 Like

Great to know. congrats to all of us

thanks

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.