Text_input refreshes whole script

I have created a search engine and want to use streamlit for it. Now my script loads a model which takes quite some time and then asks user to put query in the text_input field. The problem is whenever I press enter after putting query, it refreshes the whole script and my model loads again. I tried to use on_change callback, but this function does not receive any input from the text_input field. How to solve this issue?

Hi @pritam-dey3, welcome to the Streamlit community!! :wave: :partying_face:

I would suggest decorating the function that loads your model with @st.experimental_singleton. This will ensure that your model is cached after the first call to load the model, and will prevent your app from loading the same model with every widget interaction.

We’re developing new cache primitives that are easier to use and much faster than @st.cache.

• Use @st.experimental_singleton to cache functions that return non-data objects like TensorFlow/Torch/Keras sessions/models and/or database connections.
  • Use st.experimental_memo to cache functions that return data like dataframe computation (pandas, numpy, etc), storing downloaded data, etc.

Read more here: Experimental cache primitives - Streamlit Docs

Here’s pseudocode to cache your ML model:

import streamlit as st
import favmodellibrary

# Decorator to cache non-data objects
@st.experimental_singleton
def load_model():
    # Load large model
    model = favmodellibrary.create_model()
    return model

# Model is now cached
model = load_model()
# On subsequent interactions, the cached model will be used

# When the input changes, the cached model will be used
text = st.text_input("Enter some text", value="Classify this")
if text:
    output = model.classify(text)
    st.write("Prediction: ", output)

Does this help?

Happy Streamlit-ing! :balloon:
Snehan

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.