App Killed - Digital Ocean Ubuntu Droplet

Checking out my /var/log/kern.log I found this beauty. My app had been working fine for past week, but now it’s starting to get killed randomly. I am getting ready to make the app available to clients, but nogo if it keeps crashing. Any input helpful.

kernel: [543151.124153] Out of memory: Killed process 68672 (streamlit) total-vm:1169184kB,

As so many of us are NOT sysadmins, but Pythonistas and Data Scientists trying to solve problems for our businesses, and impress family and friends, I thought it might be helpful to share what seems like a solution to my own problem. First, by examining the log and then running ‘htop’ while running my streamlit app I could see in real time when I put strain on the app using the Drag and Drop streamlit function, memory would hit the roof and the process would be killed. Clearly I needed to find more memory. I could have purchased more memory for my droplet, but came across instructions for setting up a swap file (https://www.codementor.io/@mecp/increasing-memory-ram-on-digitalocean-droplets-9um2mphxv). These instructions were really clear and seemed to work fine. Once swap file was up and running, I haven’t had the app Killed. Fingers crossed.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience @RickBL, hopefully this will keep someone else from having this issue!

One other thing to try would be upgrading Streamlit > 1.1 if you aren’t already. There were a lot of memory fixes we’ve made lately, which should also relieve RAM pressure.

Best,
Randy

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.