Can I animate a scatter plot?

Hi all,
I have data representing a bunch of points in 2D. They move in time. Theyā€™re each one of three colors, and they could change to one of the other colors over time. Is there a nice way to animate this with streamlit? Right now, Iā€™m using matplotlibā€™s scatterplot, with a loop that updates the positions and colors of each point. I didnā€™t quite see how to do it with one of the more efficient streamlit things like Altair or Pandas, but hopefully Iā€™m missing something obvious. I can easily store the data however would be most useful (numpy array, pandas dataframe, lots of lists, whatever).

Thanks!
-Michael

Hi @mglerner,

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Does this example where we animate an Altair Scatterplot fit your needs?

Hereā€™s another link where weā€™re animating other kinds of streamlit elements.

Hi,

That first one is almost exactly what I need. Is there a way to delete the old data? I want this to end up looking like a specific number of points are moving around.

FWIW, I tried the animated line chart code and couldnā€™t get it to work. Streamlit did not give any errors ā€¦ but I also didnā€™t see an animated line chart.

Thanks!

hey @mglerner,

You could do something like this, let me know if this works for you :slight_smile:

import streamlit as st
import altair as alt
from vega_datasets import data
import time

source = data.cars()
chart = st.empty()

for i in source.index:
    data_to_be_added = source.iloc[0: i + 1, :]

x = alt.Chart(data_to_be_added).mark_circle(size=i * 10).encode(
        x='Horsepower',
        y='Miles_per_Gallon',
        color='Origin',
        tooltip=['Name', 'Origin', 'Horsepower', 'Miles_per_Gallon']
    ).interactive()

time.sleep(0.2)

chart.altair_chart(x)
2 Likes

Look into plotly express, it makes certain kinds of animations trivial, and provides nice controls.