Combination of Drop-down menu (st.selectbox) with a Button (st.Button) to control execution flow doesn't work šŸ’„

Steps to replicate problem:

1. Go to main app website - https://liraweb.azurewebsites.net/
  2. Select ā€œGradient Descentā€ as the linear regression method in step 4 and press ā€œPredictā€ Button
    Note: "Predict" st.button works fine for all the other options in the dropdown
  3. Once youā€™re in Gradient Descent, you can update the sliders as you wish and select Plotting/Animation method.
  4. PROBLEM STARTS HERE - Once you select any of the options in the 2nd st.select and hit Go, it brings you back to step 3 without anything else happening

Checked-in code in Github here - https://github.com/etzimopoulos/LiRA-Web-App/blob/master/pages/homepage.py (see elif lira_method == "Gradient Descent": which essentially implements the Gradient Descent dropdown in Step 3.

In my local sandpit, Iā€™ve also tried removing the st.button(Go) and strangely this happens:

• Code runs straight-through for the first option in the st.select: mode = st.selectbox("Select Plotting Library",('Skip Animation','Matplotlib','Plotly','Altair'))
  • If I re-arrange the options and set, say, Matplotlib first, it will run the animation without any issues. The same with Plotly or Altair. If theyā€™re first in the st.selectbox statement code runs and I get the correct error message.
  • But if I select any other method other than the first one in the st.selectbox statement, it takes me to Step 3.

I hope itā€™s not a schoolboy error with the if/elif statements but any help would be appreciated as Iā€™m stuck for days. :frowning:

What you need is this:

That is, store the button pressed state in a session state and use that for your further steps (say step-3).

The problem occurs because when you press a button in step-2, it will be marked as true only during the first refresh. When you change anything beyond that, the subsequent refresh will return false for the button pressed state.

2 Likes

Oh thank you @GokulNC.

Makes so much sense now. Iā€™ve spent so much time trying to debug it by adding messages to print in various stages that itā€™s a bit of a relief to find out itā€™s not me :slight_smile:

Ok cool, Iā€™ll take a look at the other thread and update my code.

Thank you for the help. :pray:

3 Likes