Connecting to an API with win32com results in com_error after 30secs

Summary

I am trying to build an app that will connect into the API of another running app on Windows through the com interface. This has been successfully done using Jupyter and win32com. No issues have been experienced connecting in and re-running the cell multiple times.

However, when attempting the same in Streamlit, I am able to get it working for about 30 secs. After that and when the app is updated or rerun it results in a com_error.

I have recreated the issue using Excel and the same behavior is experienced, which rules out the application I am trying to build this for.

The code I am using is an adapted version of this SO post:
Python Multithreading COM Objects - Stack Overflow

Any help or suggestions on this would be appreciated. Thanks

Steps to reproduce

This simple code creates a new Workbook in Excel each time the button is pressed.

Code snippet:

import streamlit as st
import win32com.client
import pythoncom

st.header('Test')

com = win32com.client.Dispatch("Excel.Application")
com_id = win32com.client.pythoncom.CoMarshalInterThreadInterfaceInStream( win32com.client.pythoncom.IID_IDispatch, com)
pythoncom.CoInitialize()
api = win32com.client.Dispatch(pythoncom.CoGetInterfaceAndReleaseStream(com_id, pythoncom.IID_IDispatch))

add_sheet = st.button('Add Worksheet')
if add_sheet:
    api.Workbooks.Add()

Expected behavior:
No error to occur when the app is rerun after 30 seconds and the communication with the active app to be maintained.

Actual behavior:
When the app is run, I am able to click the Add Workbook button multiple times. This generates a new instance of Excel and a clean workbook.

However, after about 30 secs, when the button is pressed it results in a com_error:
com_error: (-2147221008, ‘CoInitialize has not been called.’, None, None)
And the following trace:

File "C:\Users\Andy\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\lib\site-packages\streamlit\runtime\scriptrunner\script_runner.py", line 562, in _run_script
    exec(code, module.__dict__)
File "C:\PythonProjects\streamlit_integration\test_app.py", line 7, in <module>
    com = win32com.client.Dispatch("Excel.Application")
File "C:\Users\Andy\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python39\site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.py", line 117, in Dispatch
    dispatch, userName = dynamic._GetGoodDispatchAndUserName(dispatch, userName, clsctx)
File "C:\Users\Andy\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python39\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 106, in _GetGoodDispatchAndUserName
    return (_GetGoodDispatch(IDispatch, clsctx), userName)
File "C:\Users\Andy\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python39\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 88, in _GetGoodDispatch
    IDispatch = pythoncom.CoCreateInstance(

Debug info

• Streamlit version: 1.13.0
  • Python version: 3.9.13 64 bit
  • Using Conda? PipEnv? PyEnv? Pex? None
  • OS version: Win 10
  • Browser version: Edge 108.0.1462.76

Hey @andymcd,

Unfortunately I’m on a Mac so I’m not able to reproduce this, but I did some digging around and here are some of the most common suggestions I stumbled upon:

• use _ATL_DEBUG_INTERFACES to troubleshoot
  • make sure that you don’t still have active COM objects – may need to release the object and call CoUninitialize()
  • make sure that COM is being initialized in every thread (seems like you’re already doing this)

I have very limited familiarity with this library so apologies if these aren’t helpful

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.