Data_editor - calculating rows and first class documentation

Iā€™m looking to do something in data_editor which has proved challenging, but seems like a simple use-case. Basically, the dataframe I load into the data_editor has some rows that are raw values and some rows that are calculated off of other rows. When I have a user update the data_editor, I would like the calculating rows to update.

What I tried and couldnā€™t get to work:

• Comparing the userā€™s updated df to the original df after the data_editor call and then recalculating any changes. This doesnā€™t work since the page re-runs before this recalculating occurs, so the df is unchanged in the data_editor.
  • Using a callback (on_change) to update the calculations or using the callback to save session_stateā€™s so the new numbers can be used in the calculations. The callback doesnā€™t seem to have access to the updated df, so that wouldnā€™t work.
  • Assigning the st.data_editor to a session state (for example: st.session_state.df = st.date_editor(ā€¦)) and then prior to the original calculation, checking for whether this session state existed and using itā€™s values if so. This didnā€™t seem to assign the session state until after the re-run, so this didnā€™t calculate new values.

The only thing that finally worked was trying my first method, but then adding a st.experimental_rerun() at the end, so that it could pick up the changes before recalculating. However, this seems pretty inefficient since making changes to data_editor causes the page to re-run already, so the page is now re-running twice.

Having rows that calculate off other rows is very common in pandas dataframes and in places like excel, so it seems like that is a use-case that should be supported.

While looking into this, it became obvious that it would be helpful to have a first class set of documentation on how to use data_editor in a webapp with typical use-cases. Although we have docs here, those just say what the widget literally does and uses the data_editor output in a very basic way.

I also saw others having confusion on similar topics, with slightly different use-cases here and here, so it seems like others could benefit from this too.

1 Like