How to disable hashing for parameter of imported function (not using st.experimental_memo as decorator)

So Iā€™m getting this error:

streamlit.caching.cache_errors.UnhashableParamError: Cannot hash argument ā€˜modelā€™ (of type project.models.ClassificationModel) in ā€˜_get_labelsā€™.

To address this, you can tell Streamlit not to hash this argument by adding a
leading underscore to the argumentā€™s name in the function signature:

@st.experimental_memo
def _get_labels(_model, ...):

However, I am defining the _get_labels function in another module and importing it.

I would like to apply the st.experimental_memo function like this:

cached_get_labels = st.experimental_memo(_get_labels)

How can I disable hashing for model in this case?

Hey @StefanBrand,

Sounds like you might want to create a memoized wrapper function that just passes its arguments to the un-memoized _get_labels function:

from wherever import _get_labels

@st.experimental_memo
def cached_get_labels(_model, ...):
    return _get_labels(_model, ...)

Thanks, I came up with this:

@st.experimental_memo
def cached_get_labels(*args, **kwargs):
    return _get_labels(kwargs.pop("_model"), *args, **kwargs)

Edit: This works as well:

@st.experimental_memo
def cached_get_labels(_model, *args, **kwargs):
    return _get_labels(_model, *args, **kwargs)

The solution is not ideal. With st.cache it is possible to do something like this and use it as a function:

from functools import partial

st_cache_hashs = partial(
    st.cache, hash_funcs={Labels: lambda _: input_parameters}
)

Youā€™re right, you canā€™t use partial to build the wrapper if you have ā€œdonā€™t hash meā€ arguments - this is a limitation of the new design.

Weā€™ve internally considered allowing an alternate, explicit syntax for unhashable arguments, something like:

@st.experimental_memo(not_hashed={"model"})
def cached_get_labels(model, ...):
  return _get_labels(model, ...)

Which would allow for constructing wrappers without creating a new function. (Weā€™re currently leaning away from this alternate syntax, but if this is something you feel strongly about, please open an issue on Github!)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.