How to print variables in the console?

Hello, I am getting an error while running an app in the cloud but works locally. I suspect the underlying issue is coming from mismatch in how streamlit handles saved files. So I want to see the variables that get passed to my functions however I tried adding print statements, logs to see what is being passed once I deploy to steamlit but neither of these showed in the console. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thank you

Repo:

Error message post deployment:

[05:32:28] ๐Ÿ Python dependencies were installed from /mount/src/untitledassitanttool/requirements.txt using pip.
Check if streamlit is installed
Streamlit is already installed
[05:32:30] ๐Ÿ“ฆ Processed dependencies!

WARNING โš ๏ธ user config directory '/home/appuser/.config/lancedb' is not writeable, defaulting to '/tmp' or CWD.Alternatively you can define a LANCEDB_CONFIG_DIR environment variable for this path.
[2024-03-05T05:33:34Z WARN  lance::dataset] No existing dataset at /mount/src/untitledassitanttool/src/InformationProcessor/../STM\company_data_08ef266c-4e0c-4595-9201-8cb3ee59685e/pdf_extracted_content.lance, it will be created
2024-03-05 05:33:34.718 Uncaught app exception
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/adminuser/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/streamlit/runtime/scriptrunner/script_runner.py", line 535, in _run_script
    exec(code, module.__dict__)
  File "/mount/src/untitledassitanttool/main.py", line 4, in <module>
    app.main()
  File "/mount/src/untitledassitanttool/src/ui/streamlit_app.py", line 124, in main
    response = generate_llm_response(prompt)
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/mount/src/untitledassitanttool/src/ui/streamlit_app.py", line 96, in generate_llm_response
    ingestor.file_broker()  # Process files only once
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/mount/src/untitledassitanttool/src/InformationProcessor/ingestors.py", line 62, in file_broker
    self.ingest_pdf(file,  open_ai=self.ai_credentials)
  File "/mount/src/untitledassitanttool/src/InformationProcessor/ingestors.py", line 111, in ingest_pdf
    processed_pdf, size = call_pdf_preprocess(payload, open_ai)
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/mount/src/untitledassitanttool/src/InformationProcessor/preprocessor.py", line 156, in call_pdf_preprocess
    extracted_text, page_count = pdf_processor.parse_pdf()
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/mount/src/untitledassitanttool/src/InformationProcessor/preprocessor.py", line 87, in parse_pdf
    for page_text, images, _ in results:
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
TypeError: cannot unpack non-iterable NoneType object
1 Like

Hi @cmazzoni87,

Thanks for sharing your question with the community! :balloon: Please update your debugging post to include a code snippet and a link to your appโ€™s public GitHub repo โ€“ this will allow the community to help you find an answer as quickly as possible. In the meantime, this post will be tagged as needs-more-info.

1 Like

@tonykip thank you for your fast reply. I updated my post as per your recommendations for your review.

1 Like

Hi @cmazzoni87

It seems you want to download your logs, which is accessible when you are signed in to the Community Cloud, then you can click on the โ€œManage Appโ€ button found in the bottom right, then you can click on โ€œDownload logsโ€.

A more detailed account is provided in the Docs:

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Hi @dataprofessor, thank you for your respose, I am trying to see my variables in the command panel at runtime. The reason is that a method that returns values in my local env is returning none in my deployed app. I suspect it has something to do with cv2 headless package but I cannot confirm this until I can debug my code.

1 Like

The logs are just a download of what is displayed in the command which I pasted in my question. Why do you think downloading the logs would be any different?

1 Like

Donโ€™t forget adding the newline character and encoding the message to bytes.

2 Likes

@Goyo does this shows the variables or the variable names?

2 Likes

Instead of this

print(x)

you do this:

os.write(1, f"{x}\n".encode()) 
3 Likes