How to remove the uploaded file in Streamlit when clicking on the self-made "Reset all" streamlit button?

Summary

I was wondering if anyone could kindly clarify whether the only way to remove/clear uploaded file(s) is still by hitting the β€˜x’ button or if there is an official programmatic way to clear them. The reason I ask is because I have created a streamlit button called "Reset all" where this button will make the app return to the state of when the program just successfully executed via streamlit run app.py command.

That’s mean the program is returning to the beginning stage without any user input.

Steps to reproduce

Code snippet:

def initialize_session_state():
    if "no_file_conversation" not in st.session_state:
        st.session_state.no_file_conversation = [
            SystemMessage(content="I'm a PDF Chatbot. Ask me a question about your documents!")
        ]
    if "conversation" not in st.session_state:
        st.session_state.conversation = None
    if "chat_history" not in st.session_state:
        st.session_state.chat_history = None
    if 'user_input_prompt' not in st.session_state: # This one is specifically use for clearing the user text input after they hit enter
        st.session_state.user_input_prompt = 'None'
    if "pdf_docs" not in st.session_state:
        st.session_state.pdf_docs = None
    if "is_processed" not in st.session_state:
        st.session_state.is_processed = None
    if "is_vectorstore" not in st.session_state:
        st.session_state.is_vectorstore = False
    if "extra_class" not in st.session_state: # This is a control variable, use to check the type of user's last conversation, either 'Warning' or 'None'
        st.session_state.extra_class = None

# Reset button part
reset = st.sidebar.button('Reset all')
if reset:
   st.session_state.clear()
   initialize_session_state()

Expected behavior:
The web app should look like this after clicking the Reset all button.

Actual behavior:
When I have done with the chatting, I clicked on the Reset all button and it didn’t remove the file I uploaded.

Debug info

• Streamlit version: 1.23.1
  • Python version: 3.10.8
  • Using: PipEnv
  • OS version: Windows 11 Home
  • Browser version: Goole Chrome 114.0.5735.199 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Links

1 Like

Hey @mingjun1120 , I found this solution that might work for you Are there any ways to clear file uploader values without using streamlit form

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.