Text input strange behavior when key present

I wanted text input in a loop. st rightly complained about the fields having the same key. When I insert key using random, it stops printing values outside.

The following works fine:

import random
for i in range(1): # single field
    foo = random.choice(string.ascii_uppercase)+str(random.randint(0,1000))
    myc2 = st.text_input('')
    st.write(myc2,myc2[::-1])

The following complains about same key:

import random
for i in range(3): # loop and no key
    myc2 = st.text_input('')

The following stops printing the string and its reverse:

import random
for i in range(3): # loop and key
    myc2 = st.text_input('',key=foo)

The issue seems to be with the key since it also fails to print for loop of 1 with key
import random

for i in range(1): # no loop; key yes
    myc2 = st.text_input('',key=foo)

Baffled ;-(

Do others see the same thing?

Hi @AshishMahabal, welcome to the Streamlit community!

What you are seeing is one of the underlying mechanisms of how Streamlit works. In your first code snippet, you are creating a single st.text_input widget, so Streamlit can determine with certainty which one you are referring to.

In the second snippet, now you define a st.text_input 3 times; this does not overwrite the text_input, but rather orphans the references to the other ones (but the front end is still keeping track). So you get a key error.

If you want to keep writing over the same widget, put an st.empty() outside of your loop:

If your code has to be this way for some reason, you can add a key argument to st.text_input…set that value to your loop value i to make distinct text_input widgets.

Best,
Randy

1 Like

Hi @randyzwitch,

Thank you for your reply. I roughly understand the orphaning part, but still not the flow.

In the code below where I have a loop of 1, so no multiple text inputs, and I assign a random key inside that loop, it still does not print myc2. Where/when does it’s value become stale?

On the other hand, if I use the loop variable as key, then it prints myc2.
What is different in the two?

For my original question I did go ahead and use st.empty() (recursively, no less) and get my problem solved. Thank you again for your reply.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.