Why is Streamlit called Streamlit?

Hey
Glad that I stumbled upon this awesome product.

I am curious to know why was it named Streamlit?

Sorry for a noobie question

Cheers

PS: found streamlit like 30 minutes before now working on a weather prediction model to be submitted as an assignment for tomorrow using Streamlit

2 Likes

The original name was “Streamlet” , but then someone mistyped it as “Streamlit” and we liked it better that way. The “lit” evokes the ideas of something lighting up the path ahead, or bringing clarity, or illuminating a solution, and so on.

Now as to why it was Streamlet to begin with, depends on who you ask :smiley:

My version of the story is that we stream data to your app lightning-fast, so we wanted to have “stream” in the name. I like that version so much that I eventually forgot the real origin story, which at this point only @Adrien_Treuille knows!

6 Likes

PS: found streamlit like 30 minutes before now working on a weather prediction model to be submitted as an assignment for tomorrow using Streamlit

AWESOME! That’s amazing, thanks for letting us know

2 Likes

Glad you were able to get started so quickly! If you can - please share an image or video of your assignment when you’re done. Would love to see what you made :smiley:

2 Likes

Sure @Amanda_Kelly

While Google was meant to be googol same as streamlit was meant to be streamlet

Congrats you are on your way to be the next Google!!
:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

2 Likes

@thiago’s story is exactly as I remember it too.

Btw, the person who “misspelled” the name is my brilliant, insanely creative friend Benjamin Bethurum. Afterwards we realized that wasn’t he who “misspelled” the name, it had been we all along. :wink:

2 Likes