Avoid Page Reload When Interacting With Folium Map

Read through a number of streamlit-folium posts and the documentationā€¦is there a method to scroll around on the map, but not have to reload the page every time?

For example, lets look at the Dynamic Updates documentation page. Each time a user zooms or scrolls on the map, the entire page reloads.

A colleague suggested that if there was a key parameter that could help avoid having to reload the entire page. Iā€™ve found examples using the key parameter, but have not been able to find any documentation on how it works or how/when to use it.

Suggestions?

1 Like

Hello @Binx,

One effective approach is to leverage st.session_state to preserve the state of the map and other parts of your application between reruns. By doing this, you can avoid unnecessary recalculations or reloads of data that havenā€™t changed.

import streamlit as st
import folium
from streamlit_folium import folium_static
from folium.plugins import MarkerCluster

def create_map():
    if 'map' not in st.session_state or st.session_state.map is None:
        m = folium.Map(location=[45.372, -121.6972], zoom_start=12, tiles="Stamen Terrain")

marker_cluster = MarkerCluster().add_to(m)
        folium.Marker(location=[45.372, -121.6972], popup="Mt. Hood Meadows").add_to(marker_cluster)

st.session_state.map = m  # Save the map in the session state
    return st.session_state.map

def show_map():
    m = create_map()  # Get or create the map
    folium_static(m)

show_map()

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
Sahir Maharaj
Data Scientist | AI Engineer

P.S. Lets connect on LinkedIn!

āž¤ Want me to build your solution? Lets chat about how I can assist!
āž¤ Join my Medium community of 30k readers! Sharing my knowledge about data science and AI
āž¤ Website: https://sahirmaharaj.com
āž¤ Email: sahir@sahirmaharaj.com
āž¤ 100+ FREE Power BI Themes: Download Now

3 Likes

Yup that works. Just wanted to see an example with how that works. Thanks again!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.