Getting error: RuntimeWarning: Unexpected end-group tag: Not all data was converted

Hi,
I am using Streamlit since a while to make some analysis on Amazon products.
What I mainly use is Pandas with some Aggrid tables and SQLite DB. There are also some tables saved on cache.

Time to time, apparently randomly, I get a warning message that brakes the web page and therefore I need to reload.

The warning is the following:

... venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/streamlit/server/server.py:754: RuntimeWarning: Unexpected end-group tag: Not all data was converted
  msg.ParseFromString(payload)
2022-02-04 10:51:39.644 No handler for "None"
[libprotobuf ERROR google/protobuf/wire_format_lite.cc:577] String field 'WidgetState.json_value' contains invalid UTF-8 data when parsing a protocol buffer. Use the 'bytes' type if you intend to send raw bytes. 
2022-02-04 10:57:39.547 Error parsing message

I also get a message on the browser saying:

Bad message format
Unrecognized RootContainer in deltaPath:

Thanks in advance for your helpโ€ฆ and โ€ฆ I really love Streamlit!

I am getting the same error for my application when running in Chrome but not using Firefox. Havenโ€™t found a solution yet.

1 Like

Iโ€™ll try Firefox too waiting for support to solve the issue in Chrome. Thanks for the hint!

@Vincenzo_Cacciatore
Iโ€™m a colleague of Simon, and we have been puzzling with this issue for a week or so.
We suspected the issue is provoked Aggrid and websocket-compression since we could not get the error if we set

server.enableWebsocketCompression = false

The new release of 1.6 disables this by default, and we no longer see this error.
Disabling websocket-compression was not recommended before, so might be better to upgrade your application to 1.6 if possible rather than just disabling it in your current version.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.