Page_icon & Title not showing on subpages

Summary

With an app that has multiple pages (pages/ directory), the set_page_config(page_icon='my_favicon.ico') only works on the base page. All other pages (everything in pages/) get a streamlit icon or no icon at all (world).

Steps to reproduce

Base pageā€¦ icon_test1.py

import streamlit as st

st.set_page_config(page_title="Icon Test Main", page_icon='favicon.ico',
                   layout="wide", menu_items=None)

st.markdown("## Base Page")

pages/1_page1.py:

import streamlit as st

st.markdown("## Page 1")

Run the app and move between the pages and observe the page icon and title in the browser tab.

Expected behavior:

Since weā€™re not supposed to use set_page_config() more than once in the entire app, I would expect it to apply to all pages, not just the base page.

Actual behavior:

The page_icon displays either a streamlit icon or a ā€œworldā€ on all subpages, title changes to default title on subpages.
Suggested fix would be to either allow the set_page_config() on all pages, or have the settings apply globally.

Debug info

• Streamlit version: streamlit-1.21.0
  • Python version: Python 3.8.12
  • Using Conda? PipEnv? PyEnv? Pex? No.
  • OS version: Rocky Linux 8.6 and MacOS 12.3
  • Browser version: Chrome Version 112.0.5615.49 (Official Build) (arm64)

Requirements file

Just streamlit. I would provide my favicon.ico file, but I donā€™t see how to upload it. :slight_smile:

Links

I tested it with an emoji as well and the last several versions all did this. I took a quick peek on GitHub and I donā€™t see exactly this issue recorded as an open bug report yet. I believe you can report it as a bug. I agree with your logic that if st.set_page_config is meant to be called first and only once then I would expect the icon to carry over to other pages in the same way layout='wide' does.

1 Like

Page_icon & Title not showing on subpages Ā· Issue #6572 Ā· streamlit/streamlit Ā· GitHub created. :slight_smile:

I donā€™t see anything in the documentation st.set_page_config - Streamlit Docs that would indicate that if you use it on one page it carries across multiple pages. As far as I know, the fact that it works with layout=wide is not necessarily an intended behavior. My understanding is that the phrase ā€œand must only be set onceā€ simply applies to a single page, not to an entire multipage app.

That being said, this is certainly a reasonable feature request. But, for now, the easy solution is to call st.set_page_config at the top of each page.

1 Like

Ah! I see the confusion. The docs say about set_page_config:

This must be the first Streamlit command used in your app, and must only be set once.

This line reads to me on a per app basis rather than a per page basis. My brain made an assumption between that line and the fact that layout carried over that set_page_config was meant as a first line on your appā€™s main page specifically.

I think a simple edit here along the lines:

This must be the first Streamlit command used on an app page, and must only be set once per page.

ā€¦except this happens if you put it on every page:

Apr 26 10:09:25 weka-beta-os.localdomain start_gui[7213]: Traceback (most recent call last):
Apr 26 10:09:25 weka-beta-os.localdomain start_gui[7213]:   File "/opt/gui/venv/lib64/python3.11/site-packages/streamlit/runtime/scriptrunner/script_runner.py", line 565, in _run_script
Apr 26 10:09:25 weka-beta-os.localdomain start_gui[7213]:     exec(code, module.__dict__)
Apr 26 10:09:25 weka-beta-os.localdomain start_gui[7213]:   File "/opt/gui/pages/5_Edit_Hosts_File.py", line 10, in <module>
Apr 26 10:09:25 weka-beta-os.localdomain start_gui[7213]:     st.set_page_config(page_title="WEKA Management Station Config", page_icon='favicon.ico',
Apr 26 10:09:25 weka-beta-os.localdomain start_gui[7213]:   File "/opt/gui/venv/lib64/python3.11/site-packages/streamlit/runtime/metrics_util.py", line 311, in wrapped_func
Apr 26 10:09:25 weka-beta-os.localdomain start_gui[7213]:     result = non_optional_func(*args, **kwargs)
Apr 26 10:09:25 weka-beta-os.localdomain start_gui[7213]:              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Apr 26 10:09:25 weka-beta-os.localdomain start_gui[7213]:   File "/opt/gui/venv/lib64/python3.11/site-packages/streamlit/commands/page_config.py", line 225, in set_page_config
Apr 26 10:09:25 weka-beta-os.localdomain start_gui[7213]:     ctx.enqueue(msg)
Apr 26 10:09:25 weka-beta-os.localdomain start_gui[7213]:   File "/opt/gui/venv/lib64/python3.11/site-packages/streamlit/runtime/scriptrunner/script_run_context.py", line 90, in enqueue
Apr 26 10:09:25 weka-beta-os.localdomain start_gui[7213]:     raise StreamlitAPIException(
Apr 26 10:09:25 weka-beta-os.localdomain start_gui[7213]: streamlit.errors.StreamlitAPIException: `set_page_config()` can only be called once per app, and must be called as the first Streamlit command in your script.
Apr 26 10:09:25 weka-beta-os.localdomain start_gui[7213]: For more information refer to the [docs](https://docs.streamlit.io/library/api-reference/utilities/st.set_page_config).

ā€œset_page_config() can only be called once per app, and must be called as the first Streamlit command in your script.ā€

@Vince_Fleming Can you share your whole repo? It could be something else you are doing on the 5_edit_hosts_file.py that is also calling st.set_page_config somehow.

Itā€™s a little complicatedā€¦ Iā€™m using some wheels that I had to make some customizations to, so you would likely have some issues with dependencies. Iā€™ll take some more time to review myself, and if I canā€™t resolve it, Iā€™ll respond here with the github link.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.