Using streamlit for engineering consultants

Hi there,

Iโ€™m an engineering consultant who wants to make computational tools for my clients.
I found Streamlit online and it looks really promising. I just had some questions before I dive into it.
Iโ€™m very new to all this web dev stuff so sorry for the dumb questions.

1. My simulations require a lot of resources (2 GB RAM and runs can last up to 48 hours). Am I able to configure how much RAM my app has on Streamlit Cloud, and can I run my apps for more than the 15mins timeout I saw on other posts?
  2. How can I monetize my app with a paywall? I want to charge my clients to use my apps. I saw some posts suggest some workarounds, but has this been supported natively now?
  3. I was looking at some alternatives to Streamlit and my co-worker had suggested https://mecsimcalc.com to me. Has anyone tried this before and know how it differs from Streamlit?

Thanks for your help!

@John_Walker ,

1. If your app has a lot of usage, I think there is leeway as to how much resources it can get. There is no way for you to configure it. Iโ€™m not sure if you can run your apps for more than 15 minutes.
  2. I would suggest checking out this repo: GitHub - tylerjrichards/st-paywall: A python package for creating subscription Streamlit apps It was built by one of our own streamlit team members but streamlit does not have a natively built way to support this as of right now.

Here is a comparison between Streamlit and Mecsimcalc:

1 Like

Hi @John_Walker

In regards to

Community Cloud is great for trying out new ideas, as the need for compute resource becomes inevitable, it may be necessary to graduate from a community resource to a dedicated pay instance. Please check out the Docs for detailed tutorial on deploying your own instance

Thank you very much @willhuang @dataprofessor, it looks like with a bit of extra work, it is possible! But Iโ€™m a civil engineer in training, so using Github for st-paywall and Docker/Kubernetes for my own instance, might be above my paygrade. :smiling_face_with_tear:

Thank you so much @Samer_Adeeb, I didnโ€™t see this before. After reading this, MecSimCalc looks very promising for my use case, Iโ€™ll give it a try!

Hi,

Perhaps you can look into optimizing the performance, these article/blog may be helpful:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.