ANN: streamlit-folium, a Component for rendering Folium maps

Folium has been the subject of numerous threads and feature requests, so I decided to kickoff the beginning of Folium support within Streamlit!

Installation is as straightforward as:

pip install streamlit-folium

Example

import streamlit as st
from streamlit_folium import folium_static
import folium

"# streamlit-folium"

with st.echo():
    import streamlit as st
    from streamlit_folium import folium_static
    import folium

# center on Liberty Bell
    m = folium.Map(location=[39.949610, -75.150282], zoom_start=16)

# add marker for Liberty Bell
    tooltip = "Liberty Bell"
    folium.Marker(
        [39.949610, -75.150282], popup="Liberty Bell", tooltip=tooltip
    ).add_to(m)

# call to render Folium map in Streamlit
    folium_static(m)

How it works

This Component uses components.html to take the HTML generated from a folium.Map or folium.Figure object render() method, and display it as-is within Streamlit.

Limitations and Future Development

As I’ve mentioned in other Folium threads, I hadn’t even heard of Folium until people started requesting it! So I’m barely on the scale of a new Folium user. Testing was done by going through the Folium quickstart and copy-pasting results to see if they work. They do appear to work, providing a similar experience to Jupyter Notebook rendering.

That said, not being an intense Folium user, I welcome users to try this component and file issues when you come across them. Currently, the Component is static, which means that it just renders the Python object as it exists, there are no callbacks from interacting with the Folium object via JavaScript.

I welcome Folium enthusiasts to contribute to this package to make it what YOU want to see.

Best,
Randy

6 Likes