Deployed app to run indepentently on a daily basis

Summary

Hi there, is there a way to have a deployed app running on a daily basis without any user using it?

My app should retrieve financial data and fulfill a db (e.g., at midnight, after stocks markets closure), and it should do this every day without me opening the app itself. Indeed what I’m working on is the next step, that is another python file that analyzes these data only when the user actually opens the app.

Any suggestion?

Thanks!

Steps to reproduce

Code snippet:

add code here

If applicable, please provide the steps we should take to reproduce the error or specified behavior.

Expected behavior:

Explain what you expect to happen when you run the code above.

Actual behavior:

Explain the undesired behavior or error you see when you run the code above.
If you’re seeing an error message, share the full contents of the error message here.

Debug info

• Streamlit version: (get it with $ streamlit version)
  • Python version: (get it with $ python --version)
  • Using Conda? PipEnv? PyEnv? Pex?
  • OS version:
  • Browser version:

Requirements file

Using Conda? PipEnv? PyEnv? Pex? Share the contents of your requirements file here.
Not sure what a requirements file is? Check out this doc and add a requirements file to your app.

Links

• Link to your GitHub repo:
  • Link to your deployed app:

Additional information

If needed, add any other context about the problem here.

Just to understand a little more here - are you suggesting that you want your app to run everyday on a schedule without user interaction, and that your app will not need user input nor show output, but will “do something” (it sounded like it would read some data, process it, and write to somewhere else).
If that’s the case, then this isn’t really a Streamlit app as much as a general Python app.

1 Like

Hi @tom97

As @brianmhess suggests, it would be helpful to understand what you are trying to achieve.

Depending on what you are after, there may be some options available. E.g. if you are looking to schedule background jobs, one option which uses our Streamlit SDK and offers a near-plug-and-play solution is DataButton, :

We are currently thinking about implementing a similar solution natively, but I cannot confirm anything yet! :wink:

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Charly