SciLit - Scientific Literatures and Analytics Search App

Hi there ! :raised_hand:t4:

I tried to built this app, for searching scientific publications using specific keywords, and obtain simple analytics related to the publications (download batches of aticles), published journals and author’s network etc. Heres the link to the app - SciLit.

Also, thanks to the streamlit-components-community-tracker page. Components such as,Streamlit-AgGrid,Streamlit-Pyvis,Streamlit-Lottie came very handy!

I’ll be glad to recieve your views and comments . :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Avra

5 Likes

@AvratanuBiswas - really cool app! Thanks for sharing it. :100:

1 Like

@asehmi , glad that you liked it ! And also, thank you for your impressive, Streamlit Authentication component ! :balloon:

1 Like

Hope you’re using or tried the Auth0 version of the component? BTW, like that you used the new caching API primitives in your app.

1 Like

Yes, I did try it ! I’m planning to implement it in one of my ‘fun-with Streamlit’ projects :grinning: , will post you on it for sure . Again, I must mention, the component trackers forum by the community is superb helpful , and I would like to make more use of it! :smiley:

Oh, yeah , why not ! This latest Streamlit update with the caching functions , as well as the hamburger menu, seems perfect to test within this basic app, and I’m glad I could straight away implement it ! :slight_smile:

Cheers
Avra

2 Likes

Do I understand correctly you’re only finding data in PubMed (i.e. your app is mainly for biomed research, not for general things)?

1 Like

Hi @karelin ,
Yes, you are right , it’s looking for the PubMed/ MEDLINE Database, mainly biomedical niche . It’s a limitation for sure .

Best
Avra

1 Like

@AvratanuBiswas Unfortunately, it seems I’ve found some strange bug…

When I’ve searched for papers on ‘EDFA transient’, your demo finds 10 papers (expected), but later loading papers takes tooooo loooooong (I’ve never seen the results).

For your proposed ‘Chlorophyll f’ example, the app is really fast!

Ah ! You are right ! Thanks for letting me know .

I’ll look onto it and get back to you :slight_smile:

Cheers
Avra

Hi @karelin ,

Thank you for reporting the bug, I made a quick fix ! It seems to run smoothly for time being with your search query.

Scholary can serve that purpose for wider scientific community. Perhaps, some other time, I’ll implement within this app as well .

And again, thank you for using this demo app :slight_smile:

Cheers
Avra

Support of Google Scholar (Scholary) would be amazing!!!
You can ping me and it will be a pleasure for me to test!

1 Like

It takes time to load publication

Hi @Kareem_Rasheed_babat ,
Thanks for your comment. This is something I have also faced at times, but normally the search result duration varies according to the batches of publications I try to load at a time, sometimes also the hour (time) of fetching the data, since the app uses NCBI -PubMed Database for the search queries. What about trying with your same search queries, in some other time ? Does it still persist?

The best possible solution can be to switch to some other database, which I may try to implement some other time.

Neverthless, thank you for trying out this demo app of mine . Do let me know if you have some feedbacks :smiley:

Best,
Avra

1 Like

Really cool app @AvratanuBiswas! Thanks for sharing it with the community!

Best,
Charly

1 Like

Thank you @Charly_Wargnier ! I’m glad that you liked this app :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Avra

@AvratanuBiswas, checked a bit Scholarly library - I’m afraid Google will ban you soon after you do online…

Perhaps you’d better consider ArXiv API as an alternative to PubMed, this will cover physics/math/ML papers.

Hi @karelin , thanks for the heads up ! I dint get much time to dig into Scholarly yet, but yeah ArXiv looks to be promising, there are few python wrappers as well, I’ll check onto them and surely, update you. Stay in touch :slight_smile:
Cheers,
Avra

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I will try again

1 Like

Hi, @AvratanuBiswas , is your up still up and running?
I’ve got an error ‘Oh no. Error running app. If this keeps happening, please contact support.’ when tried to access it.

1 Like

Hi @karelin , Glad to see you here once again. You are absolutely right.

The error message pops up for me as well . Needs to be fixed . And also, I do remember your suggestion about integrating ArXiv (thank you for that :smile: ). It’s quite written, but since I’m on holidays, can’t update it rn (and fix this current issue). Apologies for this delay :slightly_frowning_face:

Will keep you posted here. And yeah, Happy New Year @karelin :hugs::balloon:
Cheers
Avra

2 Likes