Boardgame Collection App

Hi everyone - I made a small streamlit app that pulls in data from your BoardGameGeek account.

https://share.streamlit.io/dbogt/bggcollection/main/app.py

It has a couple functionalities:

• primarily used to find games to play based on certain criteria (say you have people coming over, and you want to pick a 5 player game, that takes 40-50 minutes to play, etc.)
  • if you log your plays on BGG you can see a quick visual on the Num Plays page, along with your h-index (i.e. what’s your highest x # of games played x times)

When you type in your BGG user name for the first time, it might give you an error because on the backend the BGG API has to generate the XML/JSON files with your collection. Give it a few seconds, then try again and it should work.

Any feedback is greatly welcomed! I am still playing around with different data that I can grab from the BGG API and getting used to the streamlit functions.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, one thing to note - if you want the “What type of game are you looking for?” dropdown to work properly, you do need to tag your games in the Comments field of your collection on BGG, similarly to what I did here:

By default, my app will take those comments and split the tags on commas.

Hey @dbogt,

Welcome to the Streamlit Community! :tada: :partying_face: :tada: :partying_face: :tada:

I am going to send your app to a friend of mine, he has tonnes of boardgames and I think would love this (not sure if he has a BoardGameGeek account or not but we will see! :joy:)

Keep posting your apps we :heart: :orange_heart: :yellow_heart: :green_heart: to see what our community builds!!!

Happy Streamlit-ing!
Marisa

1 Like

Hi @dbogt, welcome to the community!

Thanks for building this, it’s going to make looking for Christmas presents way easier :smiley:

Best,
Fanilo

2 Likes